Sunday, January 16, 2011

Under The Overpass

This weekend I journeyed to a small town to see my grandmother. Although it was good to see her, the town she lives in couldn't be more boring. To paint a clearer picture of just how boring... everyone knows everyone else, so I spent a lot of time learning the life stories of old people I'd never met. Then, it also proceeded to rain the entire time I was there. It hardly ever rains there so this was a very odd occurrence, which left us stranded in the house and talking about knitting. I contemplated going to the movies on one of the days however, the theater only had three screens and none of the movies showing sounded good. I flipped on the t.v. to see if anything good was on, maybe Everybody Loves Raymond, Dexter or even Wheel of Fortune, but nope again nothing good or remotely entertaining. I kind of had a feeling this trip was going to be a lot of sitting around so I'm glad I had packed a book in my suitcase. I had bought this book a couple of years ago, but had never had a chance to read it. This weekend seemed like the perfect opportunity to read it and it was. The book is called Under The Over Pass- A journey of Faith on the Streets of America, hence today's blog title. This book is one of the most amazing books I have ever read, so eye opening and interesting. The book is about a young guy who is in college at a Christian University, but one morning he wakes up and decides that he wants to experience homelessness and put his Faith to the test. In this book the author Mike Yankoski tells of  his journey with a friend through five months of homelessness in six different cities. How he survived? The people he met? The friends he made? How his faith was put to the test and also kept him going. This book just goes to show that with Faith in God anything is possible! I read this book in two days and I will definitely be re-reading it and telling my friends about it. If you are a Christian I hope you will read this book and enjoy it as much as I did. If you are not a Christian, I hope you will read this book, and become encouraged to be a Christian. <><

No comments:

Post a Comment