Friday, April 3, 2015

Ghost World: A Graphic Novel By: Daniel Clowes

     Ghost world is an indie-hipster graphic novel that totally nails our generation. I love how Clowes blends pop culture, politics and music in this utterly refreshing look at our world. While I have much praise for this graphic novel, I did have a few problems with it. I was not a fan of the mint green, black and white color scheme, the changes in lettering throughout the novel were also a bit distracting. Ascetically, I feel like more could have been done to please the eye and more vividly showcase the artwork. Also, while the story had cool elements to it, and was fiercely relatable for anyone currently in their 20's, the story didn't flow all that well.
     In a few cases throughout the novel  I didn't really understand where it was all going. However, I did really enjoy the ending and the overall moral of the story. Clowes has an interesting perspective on the youth of America and his novel will take you back to the past while also making you wonder about the future. I really liked his mentions of Sonic Youth, The Grateful Dead and it was really funny when the dad called the daughter "dumpling" as a sign of affection. If my dad were to call me dumpling I would be offended and think he was calling me fat. Clowes has a hilarious sense of humor that will have you laughing out loud at some of his references. Overall it was a good read and I look forward to seeing the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment